Pages

Thursday, August 23, 2012

Room For Three!

When we found out that we were having another boy I started planning a way to combine our old guest room, the largest of the rooms (second to the master), into one room for all three boys to sleep in.


Before 

(like, way before when we first bought the house)

  
See the finished product after the jump.




After.  The bunk bed is the TROMSÖ Bed frame in white from Ikea.  The pillows, green throw blanket and black and white striped throw are also from Ikea.





The little brass basketball hoop was left from the previous owners of my childhood home in Texas.  My husband and I were both basketball players in high school and my boys unsurprisingly love the game as well.  I am grateful I kept it after all these years.  It is almost time for my second son to transition to the bottom bunk and revert the "toddler" bed back into a crib.  Time is so swift! 



The fan is a Minka Aire Concept ii fan in white.  We have them in almost every room in the house.  They are Italian made and FABULOUS.  I spent some time researching modern low mount ceiling fans and loved the look and quality of the Concept ii.  But, the $300 price tag was a bit out of our range, ha!  Every now and again I would check Craigslist.  I found the one in our family room for a pretty great deal.  Then, a guy was unloading 3 Minkas in the size I needed for the smaller bedrooms(still in boxes)for $30 a piece.  I did have to buy 3 light kits and some remotes.  So, we upgraded 3 of the bedroom fans for just under $100 a piece.  





We frequently check out classic audio books from our library.  My boys love listening at night and in the early morning before they are allowed to come out of their room....7:00.  Before I set a morning time rule they would come out every morning at 5:30 and I couldn't get anything done!



After seeing all the fun display bookcases for kids online I asked my dad and husband if they could put together a set made of pine for the boys and I would paint them white.  Then, I was making an Ikea run and noticed these Ribba picture ledges and thought I would save the men the work.  The price was about $10 more then what we would have paid for materials at the hardware store.  The boys love sitting in their own little reading nook. 







The waterfall chest of drawers is a makeover of a piece I found off of Craigslist.  You can see the before here.



The curtains are actually a king flat sheet that I cut in half and hemmed the cut edges with a sewing machine.  They are long, light and super inexpensive.  I picked up a set in the pattern that I liked for about $16. 





The closet curtains are also made of two twin flat sheets that I hemmed.  


There are not many toys in the room, just a few in the P'kolino ottoman.  We wanted their bedroom, for now, to be more of a quiet getaway for naps and bedtime.  My kids do have toys though! They are just stored in the living and homeschool room.  That is where the craziness happens!  Surrender, Fireman and robot! 



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...